Saturday, March 12, 2016

Love me through the storm

You know that movie Frozen? It makes me want to ugly cry during the whole thing. Not because of the love the sisters share (although it is very sweet and I have sisters) but because I can relate to Elsa in so many ways. Did you know that movie is a depiction of anxiety? If you watch her actions, you can see how deeply affected and ashamed she is of her anxiety. 

When I mention anxiety, I don't mean, yikes I'm so nervous for this test. I mean panic, obsessive thoughts, irrational fears, dissociation...it can strike at any time and on different levels. Triggers for each person are different but just as intense. Unfortunately, if you have never suffered with anxiety it is incredibly hard to understand.

It is hard for the person whose brain can have a thought and move right along with their life to comprehend why someone else cannot do this. People who live with anxiety can't make the jump in their brain from thought to process and move along. We get stuck on the thought we had, whatever it may be...there are too many people here what if there is an emergency and I can't move... it's raining with wind, lightening and thunder, we are going to have a tornado...what if my kids get in an accident when I am not with them... and these irrational fears and thoughts become a mountain and before you know it we physically feel affected. People without anxiety can have these exact same thoughts and move along with their life...we cannot. IT IS OUT OF OUR CONTROL.

I feel like those who do not suffer have the hardest time understanding this simple element. We don't have control over this feeling of impending doom. And comments like "just get over it" don't help, but make it worse. We already feel out of control but when it's pointed out, what that does internally to us is painful. 


Why did I choose to write this? Honestly it has been really heavy on my heart. Mental health has such a stigma attached to it. Anxiety is very much a part of mental health, and I guarantee that you know someone who lives with this.

So if you know someone suffering or living with anxiety, love them. If they want to talk to you or try to explain it, listen without too much input (some is okay), but most of all love them through this storm as Ana does with Elsa. She loved her sister even with of all the walls and fears Elsa had built up.

8 comments:

  1. LOVE this! Nic, your writing is so thoughtful and I love that you used that movie to explain it. I've actually never seen frozen but a lot of the kids I work with have and now it makes sense! I think as long as we talk about it, things will feel better. It'll never go away, but at least there is support and understanding out there. I know I get it :) love you! I'm going to put your blog in my daily reads list and will start checking here often! I hope you do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thank you! You should really see it. I get so emotional watching it, but I love it sooo much! I already have you on my reading list :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand this feeling all to well! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it Casey! I know we've talked about this a lot! It's so helpful to know that we don't ever walk through this alone :)

      Delete
  4. Freaking awesome sis! I had no idea you were such a gifted writer!

    ReplyDelete