Tuesday, May 7, 2019

What about the boys?

The world we live in is scary for all parents. As it was for our parents, their parents and down the line it goes. Each generation has had it's fair share of controversies while raising their babies. In the end I know most of us are just doing our best no matter how scrutinized our decisions might be. I was recently at an event when I heard a conversation happen about raising children. 

The comments went something like this "I know how to raise a strong, independent woman. How to teach her to love herself and work hard. But my son? I have no clue what to do with him". My heart broke. Being the momma of two boys I realized in an instant that our society is so focused on our daughters being fierce leaders, independent and hard workers (which don't misunderstand me, is AMAZING). However, we are forgetting about the boys. We are taking away their masculinity. We are are down playing their need  for hard work, to be boys, play in the dirt, get dirty, be crazy, be protectors. You guys, this is INATE. God made our son's this way, and as a society we are taking this from them. We are so focused on women, we are forgetting about the men. 

Let me do a little tangent about girls. I was terrified if we were going to have a girl. Knowing this world is changing for girls too. I was afraid of the sexualization of girls. I felt like having a boy might be easier because I wouldn't have to deal with drama, periods, boyfriends etc. I did know however, I would raise her how my parents raised me. With love. I would know how to teach her to be strong, embrace who God made her, tell her she is beautiful everyday, I would teach her how to ride a dirt bike, I would teach her hard work, I would be an example by showing her how I run my businesses, I would tell her if she wants to be a stay at home mom that is just as amazing as working full time. 

As much as we roll our eyes at drama, it teaches girls how to be nice, or how it hurts a friend, or how to be strong and stand up for herself. Periods are a pain obviously, but they are a sign that we could be a mother one day (dang we are amazing) and boyfriends? Well, the hope is it helps us weed out the bad ones and know what a good man is if we've had to experience a bad one. My point is yes girls are amazing too! And we embrace all things girly, we encourage it, we celebrate it ALL.

But boys? We don't celebrate them anymore. We don't want them to be too strong or they are a meathead and not smart because they spend all their time in the gym. We don't want them to be the provider because they aren't the only ones that can make money (girls, I KNOW we can be a provider and be so proud of it, but a man can be proud of it too). We don't want them to embrace that instinct to protect because it's dangerous. We don't want them to be rough and rowdy because it's wild. We are taking away the very things that God designed them to be. 

We can still raise men who have those qualities listed above and we can teach them to be good. Now I realize that I am little worried to be raising my boys in this world. Not because of strong women, they are lucky to be surrounded by strong women, but because we are down playing their importance. 

Do your boys a favor, tell them they are wonderful how God made them. Tell them they are handsome. Embrace who they are. Being a kid is hard enough and if you take away who they are meant to be by design it is you who are doing a huge disservice to our future. You are not raising a man who can be with a strong woman. So don't forget about the boys. They are just as important as the girls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment