Monday, April 4, 2016

Due Date

My sister text me yesterday "happy boys due day!"

I love it, because it is such a special day even though the boys came a lot earlier than they were supposed to. It's a day (or roundabout time) that signifies when our family was going to grow by two! So much was going to change.

The second we heard "there are two babies" we knew that my pregnancy more than likely wouldn't go to 40 weeks. The magic number with twins is usually 38 weeks. Every single day they are in is crucial. When you get that due date from the doctor, the count down is on.

My countdown went a little like this:

 April 3, 2013, due date.

Twins. Panic. Anxiety with OCD throughout my pregnancy. Just get through this. You can do it. Oh my gosh you're having two babies. Doctors appointments every two weeks with ultrasounds. Babies are okay. Genetic counseling because I have a blood mutation (MTHFR-no I'm not saying mother effer, haha) and my brother has a cleft lip and pallet. Babies both developing perfect. Blood pressure getting higher at every appointment from 30 weeks on. C-section date picked which caused more anxiety because the date picked for me by my doctor was the date my friend had passed away the year prior. Baby shower in January. Our gifts sat in our front room until February 23, 2013.

We woke up, my husband got us doughnuts and we worked all day long putting our gifts away, storing diapers in their places and cleaning tiny, sweet, matching baby clothes. We had a tax appointment that afternoon so after a long day of working, and not eating, I was showering knowing we would be getting food on the way. I stepped out of the shower felt a crazy amount of pressure and my water broke.

Did my water break? It's too early, the babies aren't supposed to be here for two more months. Yeah, that's my water. Oh my gosh. What do I do? It's too early, it's too early...

I was terrified. Long story super short, my boys came at 34 weeks and 3 days. Weighing 4 pound 10 ounces and 4 pounds 6 ounces. I had to be on magnesium when I delivered them, which affected them. I was extremely sick after delivery and I'm missing the majority of the first 24 hours of their lives. They were life flighted away from me. The fact they didn't make it to their due date was so scary to me. We didn't know what that meant.

Thank God I can say they are happy, healthy and crazy three year old little boys. Doing everything they should be doing. Pushing my buttons, fighting, playing and teaching me endless lessons everyday. I am so thankful for them. Our start was scary but what a blessing.

So happy due date boys. We love you so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment