Tuesday, April 5, 2016

I'm a yeller

With the loudness that twins bring the minute they come home the noise level in your house goes up without warning. My husband and I are already "loud" people, but yelling wasn't really our thing.

However, I became a yeller.

I'm not proud of yelling. In fact, the days I yell more, I feel less about myself as a person and mom. How does these littles make me lose my cool so dang fast?

I think that's what gets me the most, is my lack of control over these little people who are supposed to be listening to me. I notice however, the more I yell, the less they listen. Sad face. My biggest job in life right now is to raise respectful, kind and happy little men. When I yell, I feel like my message is getting lost.

Honestly, I know they are good boys, I'm proud of the job we've done so far. I also know they are three and I will have days that I'm lacking control over them but mostly my own self control.

The moments I need to control myself most are teaching moments for my boys. When I yell, I'm missing the mark. All they hear are loud words and not the lesson I am trying to teach them.

This has been heavy on my heart but I read an article last night that resonated so well with me.
Read it here :Hands Free Mama

I've been praying a lot lately for patience with my sweet boys in our normal day to day activities. It's their job, so to speak, to push my buttons. They are learning boundaries as well as teaching me a thing or two. God entrusted these two sweet boys to my husband and I. I want to make Him proud. I want to stop yelling and instead take a breath and speak kindly.

If you are struggling with this too, whether it's with your kids, spouse or other family members, remember you get more with sweet than you do with sour. The response is much better when you're kind. It takes work and the change won't happen in one day, but day by day it will get easier and it will eventually be your habit to react calmly instead of with a loud voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment