Friday, May 3, 2013

My food struggles and nursing...twins!

Here is my struggle. I'm nursing my twins...do you know how many calories I've been told by my doctors to consume? About 2,500-3,000. What?! That a lot of calories! Here is my dilemma: I need to eat that many calories, however I'm lucky enough to get breakfast in the morning if I stay up after their 4:30am feeding. This leads to me being tired through out the day...but I got my breakfast right? My other issue is that between feedings (every 3 hours), I have to choose between a few things; catching up on sleep, getting thing done around the house, taking care of myself (shower, hair, makeup etc) or eating...I usually try to sleep because let's face it, I'm a new mom and I'm exhausted! These little guys sure take it out of you!

When I do get a chance to eat it's usually rushed and I'm reaching for whatever is easy. I've seen the weight literally melt off of me. I'm 10 weeks postpartum and I've lost all of the pregnancy weight plus 10 pounds (and I was worried I would have a hard time getting back into my regular clothes)! As wonderful as this weight loss has been, I know that I need to make better healthier choices because the second I stop breastfeeding, if I keep up these habits I'll gain the weight back, plus some I'm sure.

So my struggle is how do I keep up my calorie intake so I can continue to produce enough milk for my boys, but eating healthy calories at the same time, when I don't feel I have the time to prep anything healthy? Oy. I'm in no means trying to "diet" while I'm breastfeeding, I'm just really trying to make a change to my eating habits a change that will stick. I know when I get on a good track of eating healthy, I'll crave healthy foods...it's the starting part that's hard. I have to retrain my body.

Okay off to make some protein strawberry pancakes while I have a moment! Sorry if there are typos...I'm in a rush!

No comments:

Post a Comment